Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Fiftieth Birthday Wish!

My Fiftieth Birthday Wish!
By Laurie Wheeler
 
When I began thinking about celebrating my upcoming 50th Birthday, it didn’t take long to start thinking about taking a trip to see the one and only Barry Manilow. I have been one of his biggest fans ever since “Mandy,” and I have been a member of the BMIFC (Barry Manilow International Fan Club) since 1978. I also attended my first Manilow concert in “the summer of ‘78.” Therefore, when I first heard the announcement about Barry’s new show at Paris Las Vegas in late 2009, I began contemplating celebrating my 50th Birthday in Vegas style. That was my simple Birthday wish, to see Barry’s new show at Paris Las Vegas. Yes, I am disabled, and there are many physical, emotional and financial challenges involved with that.  Nevertheless, I thought  maybe I would be able to make something special happen for my 50th Birthday.

Little did I know that just a few months later, that simple wish would be sent into a tailspin! I would quickly find out that even though Barry is indeed headlining at Paris Las Vegas he would be in London (performing at the 02 Arena) in early May 2011.  In fact, the shows scheduled for the 02 are scheduled right before my 50th Birthday.  However, a fourth show was recently added to Barry’s schedule at the 02 in London for Saturday, May 7th. I couldn’t believe it!  My favorite musician in the whole world is doing a concert with a full orchestra on my 50th Birthday in London, and I cannot be there!  Honestly, right now I just feel like I have been sucker-punched, and I just do not understand why this happens to anyone who loves and appreciates Barry and his music so very much!  I just makes no sense.   Oh, I know the old saying that “life isn’t fair” and all, and my life has certainly had its share of ups and downs.  This, however, is the most disappointing and frustrating experience I have had in the 35+ years that I have been a Manilow fan.  Another thing fueling all my disappointment and frustration is the fact that it has been too long since I have seen Barry!  The last time I attended one of his shows was September 2007, and missing Barry is definitely a contributing factor to the intensity of all my emotions about this situation.  I also have all these questions that keep going through my head. Why is this happening now when all I wanted was to see Barry in concert on or around my 50th Birthday?  I have always been such a loyal, dedicated and devoted fan, and if it were just another Birthday perhaps it would be easier to deal with.  Now, nine months before my 50th Birthday, I am already frustrated and disappointed, and I am afraid my simple Birthday wish has been crushed because of circumstances beyond my control.  Of course, if circumstances change in my favor in the coming months and/or I get to see Barry in concert at some point in 2011 perhaps I will feel differently. That being said, I will never be able to forget Barry did a show on my 50th Birthday, and that I could not be there.  At this point, I just feel emotionally drained and left with nothing but unanswered questions. Will I get to see Barry’s new show at Paris Las Vegas at some point? Will he do an arena show in 2011 that I can get to?  Of course, time will tell when and how these questions will be answered. In the meantime, I just have to trust that it is in God’s hands, and I will see Barry again somewhere down the road!  I also like to remember the words to the song “We’ll Meet Again.”  “We’ll meet again, don’t know where, don’t know when.  But I know we’ll meet again some sunny day.”  Until that day comes, I am missing Barry tremendously, and I cannot wait to see him again!

No comments: